Mountains and waters right now are the actualization of the ancient Buddha way.
During this four-day silent retreat we will follow a traditional Zen sesshin (intensive retreat) schedule, incorporating periods of outdoor walking and sitting meditation in the beautiful setting of Sea to Sky Retreat Centre located on Daisy Lake between Squamish and Whistler. This is an opportunity to experience the daily rhythms of residential Zen practice and settle deeply into the stillness of the surrounding forest. The retreat will include dharma talks, and dokusan (individual meetings) with the teachers. We will eat Zen-style meals (oryoki). Instructions provided.
Myoshin Kate McCandless and Shinmon Michael Newton are the resident teachers of Mountain Rain Zen Community. They have been practicing Zen for over thirty years and teaching for over ten years.
Single rooms are available in the Main Lodge and in two small cottages, which do not have washrooms. (They share the main lodge washrooms nearby.) Please indicate on your registration under comments if you have mobility issues, that limit ease of walking or using stairs. Single rooms will be limited, and will be assigned on a first-come, first-served basis. We will do our best to accommodate requests.
Please note: As of June 12 there are no single rooms left. Please choose a double room or single tent, and note under Comments that you would be like to be wait-listed for a single room if one becomes available.
Single tents are also available. Indoor washrooms are nearby all tents. Tents are spacious and equipped with mattress and bedding.
Double rooms are available in the Retreat House. We encourage you to choose a roommate if you know someone who is attending. Please decide together and let the registrar know.
* Snoring: If you know you are a snorer, please select a single room or single tent, out of consideration for others.
Registration Deadline: July 3
Please register early so we can plan for accommodation and meals.
- Double room, or single tent: $377 CDN (tent and bedding provided)
- Single room:: $536 CDN Please note: As of June 12 there are no single rooms left. Please choose a double room or single tent, and note under Comments that you would be like to be wait-listed for a single room if one becomes available.
- Oryoki fee: Oryoki sets (bowls, utensils and cloths) will be provided for those who do not have their own. We request that you contribute $15 towards maintaining and renewing our supply of oryoki sets.
- Fees include accommodation, meals and bedding.
Retreat fees cover expenses only. There will be an opportunity to give a donation/dana to the teachers at the retreat.
- Reduced fees are available for those on a limited income. For residential retreats we ask that you pay at least half of the cost, or more if you are able. Please pay the $50 deposit using the registration button below, and also complete the Residential Sesshin Reduced Fee request. You can pay the remainder of your fee at the retreat.
- Reduced fees are available for a double room or single tent, but not for a single room, except in cases of special need.
Please contact the registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org.