Loon Lake Camp is located in the UBC Malcolm Knapp Research Forest, on a beautiful mountain lake outside Maple Ridge. Distance from downtown Vancouver is 60 km. Accommodation is dormitory style (2-4 per room), or single/double rooms in the new Johnson Building, which has one shared washroom for every two rooms. For more information, see the Accommodations page at the Loon Lake web site.
This is a silent retreat which follows a monastic-style schedule. Full participation in the schedule is expected. Personal modifications to the schedule can be arranged to accommodate special needs, in dialogue with the teachers and ino (head of zendo) at the retreat. Please note special needs on your registration form, and check in with the ino at the beginning of the retreat if you have any questions or concerns about the schedule.
The daily schedule includes:
- Zazen: sitting meditation (approximately 6 hours per day);
- Kinhin: walking meditation;
- Dharma Talks:
- opening talks by the resident teachers,
- daily talks by Zoketsu Norman Fischer,
- two evening talks by the shuso, Kanshin Ruth Ozeki;
- Oryoki: formal meals in the Japanese Zen tradition (orientation provided);
- Formal afternoon tea service in the zendo;
- Dokusan: optional individual meetings with teachers;
- Samu: organized work to maintain the community.
We recommend that you have some meditation experience prior to participating in this retreat. You are welcome and encouraged to join Mountain Rain Zen Community for an orientation at one of our regular Wednesday evening or Sunday morning sits, although this is not required. Practitioners from other traditions are warmly welcome. Please inquire if you have any questions about whether this retreat is right for you.
Three delicious vegetarian meals are provided daily, as well as coffee, tea, and snacks. We are happy to accommodate special dietary restrictions providing you advise us in advance through your registration. Thank you for your understanding.
Fees and Registration
Please register by Oct. 24, so we can order food for the retreat.
- Dormitory: $465 (Part-time: $80/night)
- Single/Double Rooms (Johnson Building): $535 (Part-time $90/night)
- Note: If demand is high for single/double rooms, you may be asked to share a room. Snorers are exempted.
- Oryoki bowls (borrow): $15
- For part-time attendance, see below.
- For reduced fees, available to those on a limited income, see below.
A deposit of $50 is required to complete your registration. Balance is due upon arrival at the retreat, cheque or cash only.
- Donations (dana) to the teachers can be made at the retreat.
- Donations to the Reduced Fee Fund, supporting those on a limited income, can be made below or at the retreat.
We ask that part-time attendees arrive either at the beginning of the retreat or by noon on Tuesday, Nov. 11 (in time for lunch). If you have never attended a Zen sesshin before we strongly recommend you come for the beginning of the retreat.
Fees are based on a daily rate. Please register and pay just the deposit of now (below, under "Payment"). On the Additional Information form that pops up when you press "Continue Registration," indicate part-time attendance and provide your arrival and departure dates/times. The registrar will contact you. The balance can be paid on arrival.
Reduced Fee Requests
Reduced fees are available for those on a limited income. Please register and pay just the deposit now (below, under Payment).
Note: If you're requesting a reduced fee and require a Single/Double Room for health reasons, please contact the registrar: email@example.com. Otherwise, under Accommodations, please select the dormitory option.
On the Additional Information form that pops up when you press "Continue Registration," complete the section on Reduced Fee Requests. The registrar will contact you. No one will be turned away for lack of funds.
- Please see the Detailed Instructions for Event Registration (click the link to access the instructions).
Upon receipt of your registration the registrar will send you a confirmation letter with further information about the retreat. If you still have questions or concerns, contact the registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Loon Lake Residential Retreat: Register
Please note: Loon Lake registration is closed as of October 30. Please contact the registrar to be put on the cancellation list.
Reduced Fee Fund
The Mountain Rain Reduced Fee Fund makes it possible for those on a limited income to participate in our retreats. Please consider making a donation. This requires a separate transaction. Tax receipts will be issued at year-end. Thank you!
Are you on the Mountain Rain mailing list? You can sign up here.